A fabulous lady, an inspirational business woman and a dynamo on social media. I’m speaking about the owner of not 1, but 2 businesses – Deb Carr!
Twitter works! I met Deb through Twitter and we have grown our relationship through Facebook and through our WordPress blogs. Social media connections are true and can be very valuable. I look forward to working with Deb in the future.
Follow her blog – she has many wonderful things to say. Book her speakers – she has a great eye for talent. And if you get the chance, have a chat with her because she is lovely.
Introducing – Deb Carr!
- Name; Deb Carr
- Occupation/ business: Director of 2 Professional Speaker Bureaus’ Voxy Lady Women’s Speaker Bureau and Vox Presenters
- Position: Director
- Country of Residence: Australia
- Twitter handle/ Facebook.
Vox Presenters – https://www.facebook.com/voxpresenters?fref=ts
- Give us your elevator pitch. What does your business do?
We are in the business of motivating and inspiring. How we do that is by providing keynote speakers for conferences, events, corporate training, online training, podcasts as well as help speakers gain exposure for their own speaking career.
- Why did you start your business?
I was working as an Office Manager for the Federal Government in 2004 and my then partner, who was a professional speaker took me to Fiji. His clients paid him thousands of dollars to speak two times at their conference, 5 days in a 5 star resort, business class airfares and he could bring his partner. On the last day when we were sunning on one of the islands I said to him “So this is work for you isn’t it?” His reply was “yes” so I asked him “ How do I get to do this?”. He advised me to either start a bureau or become a speaker. I went back to Australia and started my bureau, working long hours after my full time job. Not bad for a girl who doesn’t even have a school certificate!
- What’s your passion?
Inspiring people, writing, speaking.
- What do you love most about running your business?
The amazing people I have met. I have been mentored by the best.
- What are three difficulties you face in running your business?
1- Gaining clients in a competitive market
2 – Cashflow
3 – Time
- What are three pieces of advice you would give to someone starting their own business?
1 – Do your homework, make sure there is a demand
2 – Be prepared to live your business (passion)
3 – Have nerves of steel, there can be some pretty huge waves to ride
- Tell us, with an anecdote, why your business has changed your life?
I left school when I just turned 16, without even a School Certificate and I grew up thinking I would never be in a management position and I would remain as an office support person for my whole career. Nothing wrong with that of course but I had a hidden drive, I knew there was so much more to me, that I had a specific purpose in life.
To have been through what I have in getting these two brands up and running, with still a long way to go, I look back with such pride with what I have achieved. I now mix with people at all levels in business. I can relate to the person collecting the mail right up to a Senior Board member – I’m that confident now. Also being exposed to radio and podcasting has given me huge confidence. Once upon a time I would never have believed I could be so confident on air or to be able to speak in public.
- How do you manage a work/life balance?
I’m not that good at that, I live my business as I am so driven to make it a global brand. I think because I love what I do, I don’t consider it work. I do meditate twice a day, thanks to my meditation teacher, Tom Cronin who has brought me great peace, I practice yoga twice a day and I usually walk for up to 1.5 hours.
- What movie most inspires you in running your business?
To be honest, I can’t think of any, I rarely go to movies and never watch TV.
- The best book to read before starting a business or when running a business? Simon Reynolds, “Why People Fail”.
- Your favourite inspiration/ motivation/ business quote?
Never, Ever Give Up.
- The 4 words that best describe your business? Dynamic, Innovative, Inspiring and FUN