This is a profile I have been waiting to write for quite some time. Neil Burton is the owner of Mash Marketing Australia, a great mentor to me and a dear friend.
Neil and I met in 2010 when I joined the Mash Marketing staffing agency in its very early days. We had a wonderful talk in our first interview and talked in great depths about marketing, promotions and business. Ever since, Neil has been a mentor to me and also provided me with so many great opportunities with work.
Neil is the co-founder of Mash Marketing Australia, one of Australia’s best promotional agencies (in my books at the very least but according to many staff and clients, the best overall!)
This profile can by no means do Neil justice for the wonderful man he is, kind friend and excellent businessman. However, it certainly gives a great insight into why he loves doing what he does in running the great agency that is Mash.
- Name: Neil Burton
- Occupation/ business: Mash Australia – Promotional Staffing
- Position: Co-Founder
- Country of Residence: Australia
- Contact details
306, 50 Holt Street
t : 02 8197 9165
- Twitter handle/ Facebook/ Linkedin/ YouTube page
7. Give us your elevator pitch. What does your business do?
We are the experts in delivering consumer experiences in the live environment. We specialise in the provision of Brand Ambassadors to the experiential industry. We are incredibly passionate about what we do and as a result we get to work with some of the best clients, people and brands in some of the most fun locations and events around Australia.
8. Why did you start your business?
A few reasons. Firstly, the opportunity to work with 2 great friends in opening the Australian offices. Secondly, to kick start my learning and development curve. And thirdly, to push myself harder than I ever have before.
9. What’s your passion?
People. You learn so much from the people around you and you learn so much about yourself in how you present yourself and how people perceive you. And everyone is different so each and every conversation and connection is unique.
- What do you love most about running your business?
The people that I get to work with. I am constantly blown away by their energy, their vision and their work ethic. And they’re a constant source of humour.
- What are three difficulties you face in running your business?
- Cash Flow
- Time management
- Self Belief
- What are three pieces of advice you would give to someone starting their own business?
- Just do it, once you start everything will work itself out
- Be humble, you can learn from everyone around you
- Be flexible, your proposition will evolve constantly at the start so be prepared to go with the flow!
- Tell us, with an anecdote, why your business has changed your life?
I feel much more in control of my future and my finances. I think people assume that if you run your own business then you will be a millionaire, which in most cases is incorrect. But my understanding now of tax management strategies and accounting processes has greatly improved my opportunity to spend what money I do have wisely
- How do you manage a work/life balance?
Not very well, running your own business is draining as you put everything you have into it. Thankfully I have a wife who keeps me honest and who tells me when I need to focus on home a bit more
- What movie most inspires you in running your business?
Moneyball. It reminded me how important it is to have a point of difference, to be unwavering in my vision and how to value the assets within my business.
- The best book to read before starting a business or when running a business?
For me, nothing to do with business or running a business!! Something that works other parts of my brain.
- Your favourite inspiration/ motivation/ business quote? “Anyone can make a mill, all you need is a skill, then it’s grind time”
- The 4 words that best describe your business?
People, Experts, Engagement, Opportunity
Written by Emma Lovell, Lovelly Communications Director.