It’s always wonderful to see women you’ve known for years changing their direction and taking on something challenging. Amanda Phillips and I went to high school together and now she’s branching out into the business world and I couldn’t be more excited for her! We’ve interviewed her to learn about what it’s like starting and running a new business!
- Name: Amanda Phillips
- Occupation/ business: My day job – a Chartered Accountant working in a professional services firm specialising in corporate restructuring and insolvency. I also teach Insolvency Law casually at the University of Technology Sydney.
My new business is called Gorgeous Presence, which is based on my passion for health, wellness and living my best life.
- Position: Founder/CEO
- Country of Residence: Australia
- email/contact website
- Twitter handle/ Facebook/ Linkedin/ YouTube page
Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest – @amandagphillips
LinkedIn – amandagphillips
Facebook Page – gorgeouspresence
- Give us your elevator pitch. What does your business do?
I am on a mission to inspire working women (and men!) to be their happiest and healthiest self. As an accountant in the busy corporate world, I know first-hand the challenges women face to prioritise their wellbeing and I am passionate about changing this mindset.
I believe that the biggest challenge we face to being happy and healthy is our lack of awareness for what help is available. There is so much information out there and it can be overwhelming. With this in mind, I founded my online business, Gorgeous Presence, to share practical advice inspired from my very own health and wellness journey. The purpose of Gorgeous Presence is to connect my community of readers with authentic and inspiring people, services and products that can truly help them live their best life.
- Why did you start your business?
Everyone that I come across learns very quickly that I am passionate about all things health and wellness. I am also a total nerd when it comes to researching and trying new things, devouring books, online courses and websites in a quest to be my very best self.
I started to share what I had learnt on my health and wellness journey through Instagram and the feedback was so positive. Sharing information and helping to inspire others on their own journeys gave me such joy.
I then felt like Instagram wasn’t enough, so my fiancé suggested that I set up my own website. At first I was scared – I had absolutely no clue how to create a website! That very week an email landed in my inbox for an online blogging course called Bright-Eyed and Blog-Hearted, run by the very successful health and blogging coach, Rachel MacDonald. I signed up to the course and the rest is history!
- What’s your passion?
Helping others to be their very best self by being a source of inspiration that is authentic.
- What do you love most about running your business?
The sky is the limit! I am in complete control of my destiny and the rewards from working hard are all mine, not someone else’s. At the moment I am allowing my business to grow organically, but I have some exciting goals for the short term and longer term in place!
- What are three difficulties you face in running your business?
- Time – it’s the obvious answer for most people and is always going to be a challenge as I am currently working full-time. However I set myself little tasks and goals each day, which keeps things moving without being overwhelming. It is amazing what you can achieve over the space of a few months when you break it down into baby steps!
- Knowledge – there are so many things about running an online business, marketing and technology that I am still discovering. It is a completely different world to traditional bricks and mortar business. The key is to keep learning from others and take advantage of the amazing resources that are available online.
- Competition – one of my greatest fears is that there are so many others out in the online world doing the same thing as me, so how can I possibly do it better? In these times, I remind myself of why I started in the first place – to help others and connect them with other inspiring people and resources. No one is exactly the same as me, so I have something valuable to share!
- What are three pieces of advice you would give to someone starting their own business?
- Ask for help! There are some wonderful mentors, coaches and online courses available to kick start your business journey. I am currently being mentored by a blogging and health coach and I have learnt so much! I also belong to some wonderful online communities (e.g. Facebook groups) full of inspiring ladies that offer encouragement and advice to each other. If I hadn’t connected with these beautiful people I would not be where I am today.
- Don’t compare yourself to others, particularly those who are more “successful”. You don’t know what hardships they have endured to get to where they are. Instead, celebrate their successes and learn from them. Know that you are in exactly the place, right here and now.
- Don’t be afraid to invest in yourself – spending money on your website, online courses and coaching can sometimes be scary if you can’t link it to any immediate financial outcome. However know that what you gain from investing in yourself will bring rewards down the track, even if you can’t see them right now.
- Tell us, with an anecdote, why your business has changed your life?
After starting Gorgeous Presence I am more happy and confident in myself than I have ever been in my life! I have connected with some beautiful women who I would have never come across if I hadn’t taken the plunge and invested in that first online course.
One of these lovely ladies was kind enough to write the very first guest post for my website. She is an amazing freelance writer who has featured on some of my absolute favourite websites and publications, including Lorna Jane’s Move Nourish Believe magazine. Never would I have imagined someone like her writing for me! Her generosity and support for me has really showed me that anything is possible for Gorgeous Presence!
- How do you manage a work/life balance?
I always do something for myself every single day, whether that is going to Bikram Yoga, the gym or taking some time to meditate or be alone. It is what I encourage my Gorgeous Presence readers to do as well.
- What movie most inspires you in running your business?
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty – I absolutely love the motto of “Life” magazine – ‘to see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life.’ The character Walter Mitty teaches you to be authentic, never let others put you down and to follow your dreams. I believe these are essential to running a successful business, and life.
- The best book to read before starting a business or when running a business?
Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki and Sharon Lechter is an interesting read for those needing the inspiration to start their own business. The key message is to invest in yourself and assets that produce income that directly benefits you.
- Your favourite inspiration/ motivation/ business quote?
Marianne Williamson’s famous quote is definitely my favourite source of inspiration when I am letting fear get in the way of my success.
‘Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?’ Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.’
― Marianne Williamson, A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of “A Course in Miracles”
- The 4 words that best describe your business?