Introducing the wonderful Amy Darcy, owner and writer at the blog Eat, Pray, Workout. Amy and I met through the #WVABloggers program with World Vision Australia. Amy is a passionate blogger, keen to share her tips and tricks to a healthier, happier you! I’m enjoying following Amy’s journey and picking up some great bits of info along the way.
- Name; Amy Darcy
- Business: Blogger, Eat Pray Workout
- Position: Editor and owner
- Country of Residence: Australia
- Contact Amy: email@example.com
- Give us your elevator pitch. What does your business do?
Through Eat Pray Workout I aim to inspire and encourage people to live a balanced lifestyle filled with friends, fun, nourishing food and fitness. These topics are interweaved with my honest daily encounters; with the goal of seeking blessings in every situation. I’m an Australian lawyer, socialite, traveller, Jesus lover, army wife, gym junkie wanna-be and healthy cook.
7. Why did you start your business?
It started as quite a personal blog, almost a journal updating friends and family who lived in Sydney (if you want a laugh, I dare you to scroll through and read my first few posts – shocking and compare them with more recent ones!). You see I married in January 2012 and moved from Sydney to Brisbane. At the time I was studying like crazy at uni, gym obsessed and working at a law firm. I really had no other hobbies and it was beginning to wear me down. I realised I had no hobbies that weren’t ‘work’ when we were home for Christmas in 2012 and I had nothing to do whilst my husband and his brothers played Nintendo (it’s a brother only thing apparently, haha). From there I watched many tutorials and set up my blog. I soon fell in love with the creativity it was allowing me to express through my writing, cooking and photography. It has continued to grow and I have big plans for the future. Right now thought, it is an online hub for people to relax, be inspired and realise that healthy living isn’t that hard, in fact it can be fun!
8. What’s your passion?
My passion is encouraging others to be the best that they can in a stress and pressure free manner. I’m also a Christian, so I am pretty passionate about learning from God’s guidance and occasionally these themes or life lessons will flow through on the blog. It has been excellent to engage with others over lifestyles, perspectives and how to best love and look after one another.
9. What do you love most about running your business?
Getting emails or comments from readers sharing their own life stories or questions with me. What a privilege!
10. What are three difficulties you face in running your business?
- Money – so far my small income hardly pays for the changes I need to my site let alone to create products and services for my readers.
- Uncertainty – do I really want to be a full time blogger or should I continue with law?
- Comparison – so many other blogs are bigger than mine, will my blog make a difference?
11. What are three pieces of advice you would give to someone starting their own business?
- Believe in yourself
- Network for support – join likeminded Facebook groups or forums
- Have a biz buddy – one to bounce ideas around with. Make sure they are honest if you are an optimist like me, you may need to be brought down to earth occasionally.
12. How do you manage a work/life balance?
I’m still working on this especially as working on the blog full time is a particularly new thing and my list of things to do is a mile long. However, I am working towards set working hours and only checking social media at certain times – particularly avoiding it when with family so they can have the focus they need.
13. What movie most inspires you in running your business?
Legally Blonde was my inspiration for becoming a lawyer and I think Elle Wood’s general optimistic, fun and determined character is still inspiring. Ok, lets be honest, I have been so busy with study at uni the last 6.5 years, moving, getting married, running a blog, attending church and it’s events and looking after a dog that I find it hard to just sit still to watch a movie…it’s bad but I kind of see it as a waste of time…so I really don’t know many because I rarely watch them!
14. The best book to read before starting a business or when running a business?
Not sure, haven’t read any about it! Unfortunately law and work killed the joy of reading for me and I felt guilty if I wasn’t reading a text book. I’m more of an all in and discover along the way kind of girl anyway.
15. Your favourite inspiration/ motivation/ business quote?
Stress is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
16. The 4 words that best describe your business?
Healthy, realistic, balanced, fresh.